PDA

View Full Version : raptor shift light

03ZincMach1
02-15-2004, 02:48 AM
anyone have one on their mach. I am planning on ordering one in a few days.How hard was the install? wiring to the PCM kinda scares me a little.

99whitecobra99
02-15-2004, 03:31 AM
Mach Et has one. E-mail him and he can give you the low down.

JMG680
02-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I got one. Its great. I have it with the blue LED's. I put it in my A/C vent to hide it. It was easy to wire to the car, but getting the wire from the vent to the computer was harder than I thought. If you take the housing off the a/c and CD player and from around the shifter, you could do it in and hour and a half.

04 Mach one
02-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by JMG680
I got one. Its great. I have it with the blue LED's. I put it in my A/C vent to hide it. It was easy to wire to the car, but getting the wire from the vent to the computer was harder than I thought. If you take the housing off the a/c and CD player and from around the shifter, you could do it in and hour and a half.

Sounds like a "cool" place to hide it. could you post a picture of it?

Boss Hoss
02-15-2004, 09:55 AM
http://www.raptorperformance.com/images/Mustang_Vent1.JPG

http://www.raptorperformance.com/images/bullitt_vent.jpg

http://www.raptorperformance.com/images/Mustang_Vent4.JPG

Raptor Performance website click here (http://www.raptorperformance.com/ford_mustang.htm)

Later...
Bruce

04 Mach one
02-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the pictures Bruce:THUMBSUP:

Just a question...does it do any thing to the shift light having the cold ac blowing on it? Or the heat for that matter? Has anyone had any problems?

03ZincMach1
02-15-2004, 12:40 PM

How hard was it to find the right wires and splice them. I got some scotch locks to use. Does it some with good instructions?

CA Lightfoot
02-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Everything I read at http://reviews.stangnet.com/review.cgi?ID=357 said how easy it was to install the Raptor shift light. Figured a novice like me could do it. I did! And it works great. Almost indispensible for me running the track at night. But it took me nearly 8 hours over 2 days with lots of cursing & swearing.

Some suggestions & stuff:
1. Installation directions & great photos at http://www.raptorperformance.com/99+_Mustang_Install.htm
2. Buy or borrow the special tool to remove kick panel shown at http://www.raptorperformance.com/images/Picture2.jpg
Only cost me $6 at a local tool store.
3. Do the installation in the daytime with good lighting, so you can see the wire colors more easily. I wasted 4 hours trying to install it at night. Gave up. Started over on a successful saturday morning.
4. My big hands got pretty scratched up working in the tight area. Oh well.
5. Installed quick-disconnect plugs on each of the 3 wires so I could easily relocate or remove the shift light later. Seems like a good idea, but I haven't needed to relocate or remove it, probably never will.
6. I mounted mine on top of the steering column next to the emergency flasher thing. Not hidden, but makes it easy to change RPM settings.
7. I've had it for about 3 months. Works great. Well worth the time & money.
8. Knowing what I know now, yes, I definitely would do it again.

JMG680
02-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 03ZincMach1
How hard was it to find the right wires and splice them. I got some scotch locks to use. Does it some with good instructions?

The instructions are on the site and very clear. They have pics and everything. You will have no problems with the wires.

JMG680
02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 04 Mach one
Thanks for the pictures Bruce:THUMBSUP:

Just a question...does it do any thing to the shift light having the cold ac blowing on it? Or the heat for that matter? Has anyone had any problems?

I live in Texas so its AC or Heat all the time. No problems with it. :THUMBSUP:

04 Mach one
02-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I live in Texas so its AC or Heat all the time. No problems with it. :THUMBSUP:

Thanks for the reply:CHEERS: That was where I wanted to put it, I just didn't know if the light would get to hot or cold...if you know what I mean. I should be getting mine in a few days:HOPPY: One more thing to do before summer:THUMBSUP:

JMG680
02-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 04 Mach one
Thanks for the reply:CHEERS: That was where I wanted to put it, I just didn't know if the light would get to hot or cold...if you know what I mean. I should be getting mine in a few days:HOPPY: One more thing to do before summer:THUMBSUP:

Yea I do. It looks nice in the A/C vent, and you get a light show anytime you turn it on.(It test the LED;s When you start up) You will like it.

Here is mine.

03ZincMach1
02-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Yea I do. It looks nice in the A/C vent, and you get a light show anytime you turn it on.(It test the LED;s When you start up) You will like it.

Here is mine.

How hard was it to install there? I have never tried to take apart that center console.

JMG680
02-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Not too bad. You pull up on the shifter part first, and then out on the AC, CD part. Snaps in and Out. Same with the AC vents, Push them all the way down, add a little presser and they pop off.

GrimlokTT
02-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Does it affect any operational temp. doors? It looks like it is under a door that shuts to cut off air flow...

shake this
02-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Does it affect any operational temp. doors? It looks like it is under a door that shuts to cut off air flow...

Having the light in the a/c vent does not cause any problems and works great. Just make sure you position it far enough back to allow full function of the vent.

The door to direct air from the floor vents to the a/c vents are located deeper in the system so you don't have any moving parts other then the a/c vents.

pdog2000
02-21-2005, 03:30 AM
very cool setup...that looks awesome...

LTZ MACH
02-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Other than the raptor shift light itself, what other parts do you need to order or does everything, except some connectors come with it?

Also, where is the best place to order it from with the best prices?

Thanks,
LT

CA Lightfoot
02-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Other than the raptor shift light itself, what other parts do you need to order or does everything, except some connectors come with it?
Also, where is the best place to order it from with the best prices?
Thanks,
LT

Nothing else to order. The raptor shift light is just one piece. Of course, you'll need to make that trip to the store for tape, wire, connectors, etc.

I suppose you might save a few $$ if you shop around. I bought direct from:
http://www.raptorperformance.com
Be sure to specify make/model/year of your car with your order... don't know if it matters, but they ask for it and I worry about stuff like that.

LTZ MACH
02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Thank you. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure that I did not need some other special piece to make it work.

LT

Phil
02-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Thank you. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure that I did not need some other special piece to make it work.

LT

The Raptor shift light is set up to read the output signal of a coil on plug. No additional tach adapter is needed.

LTZ MACH
02-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Phil,

That is exactly what I was wanting to know.

LT

RunninRed
02-28-2005, 02:41 PM
For you guys that have it in the A/C vent......the raptor comes with an LED cover to make it not so bright....did ya'll leave the cover on or off, obviously since you cant change it quickly when its behind the vent you had to pick one and stay with it

shake this
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Leave the cover off. If you want to change the brightness you can adjust the vent like shades on a window.

RunninRed
02-28-2005, 02:52 PM
:hail1: very good idea....didnt think of that!

LTZ MACH
02-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Leave the cover off. If you want to change the brightness you can adjust the vent like shades on a window.

:23:

That is a good idea but also funny. For some reason it just struck me as entertaining.

LT

shake this
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
It was the only way I could decribe it!

It does sound gay now that I went back to read it. :3:

neversatisfied
03-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I bought the blue shift light with the blue led's and mounted it on top of my steering column. I love how small it is. I had no idea how bright it was going to be.

hammerhead
03-01-2005, 10:22 PM
For those of you who have it mounted in the vent, is it bright enough to see in the daylight? Is it easy to see without taking your eyes off the road (does your peripheral vision pick it up ok). And finally did you have to drill any holes in the vent to run the wiring? Thanks, these questions may sound dumb but I like the vent idea instead of mounting it on the dash but want to make sure I can see it ok.

pdog2000
03-01-2005, 11:16 PM
neversatisfied - do you have a pic of the blue light?

neversatisfied
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/15231/dscf0268.jpg

I will get some more tomorrow because it is dark and my digital camera is a piece of crap. This picture isn't with the light on. The flash made it look like it is on.

neversatisfied
03-01-2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/15231/dscf0279.jpg

Here is one more but you can't see the light as well because I have the flash on. Don't know how to turn it off.

pdog2000
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
very cool...thanks, i think i might need to ge tone of those...

shake this
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
For those of you who have it mounted in the vent, is it bright enough to see in the daylight? Yes

Is it easy to see without taking your eyes off the road (does your peripheral vision pick it up ok). Yes

did you have to drill any holes in the vent to run the wiring? No

hammerhead
03-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info "Shake This".

shake this
03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
hammerhead,

Just make sure you angle the light toward you for better visibility. It also comes with two mounts, use both of them for a more secure mount. I don't remember if it comes with double sided tape (I had some) but if not you can find it at any parts/home store or Wal-Mart in the craft section. Once you have your trim ring off, you will see a small gap in the air-duct that you can snake the wire down, it's easy, just take your time.

hammerhead
03-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks again, I've wrenched on quite a few cars so I'm sure it won't be so bad, but it's always nice to get some advice from someone who has done the job already and can save you some time and agony! Thanks again "Shake This"

Mikie
03-03-2005, 06:26 AM
I have owned 2 of Ricks shift lights (Raptor Performance)
These little things are flat out awesome. They make autometer shift lights look like cannons and the neatest thing is it will work on most cars and does not need the tach adapter like most regular shift lights.

Im mounting my new red leds, black housing on top of the driver dash at about 10 oclock. I did the same with my Trans am two years ago and people could look in the window and see it. It made the car look pissed off good!

The price for these units are second to none also.
Cant be beat.

Mike