PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Charger

04ShadowShaker
02-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Many of you probably have read the group buy thread on the new air charger just released by K&N. The installation looks really cool and definitely cleans up the engine compartment. I was ready to buy when I saw it was not 50 state legal - read that emission control and California illegal.

Has anyone considered it here and what problems could there be like warranty, poor performance, etc.?

Sure would appreciate any opinions or experiences.

ShakeMe
02-12-2004, 01:40 AM
My friend has it on his car. His was the test car. It was free. You can always put the stock stuff back on before smog is due in 4 years:D The only thing that makes it not legal is the removal of that silencer bulb from what I can see.

Martin99ACR
02-12-2004, 01:48 AM
It is nice:
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-1086

CA Lightfoot
02-12-2004, 01:54 AM
My Mach has no performance mods and I planned to make none. But, I did change the air filter, and found that removing the air box is just nuts & bolts.

So, I was thinking about getting the K&N aircharger. I reviewed the installation instructions on the K&N website and it looks simple enough to go back to stock if necessary for our emissions inspection. But K&N filter systems are so commonplace that I'm thinking no one would deny passing emissions testing or deny warranty work.

I'm just waiting to hear that the aircharger provides some real benefit. If there's a gain of 10 rwhp and no driveability issues, I'll probably get the aircharger.

Of course, then I'll need a cat-back system to exit the improved intake, better tires to handle the added power, 4.10 gears to take advantage of the tires, 31-spline beefed-up rear so I don't break an axle, then maybe an x-pipe, headers, nitrous for the occassional 11/12-second 1/4-mile...

I think I'll keep it stock for now. Except for the MGW locking fuel door I installed. No dyno numbers, but I heard aftermarket fuel doors add up to 25 rwhp. :D

ShakeMe
02-12-2004, 01:54 AM
http://socalhorsepower.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4272