PDA

View Full Version : plasma booster?

luvmynad
02-02-2004, 01:27 AM
how does a plasma booster work and does it increase hp? is it worth the money?

ShakeMe
02-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by luvmynad
how does a plasma booster work It Doesn't
and does it increase hp? NO
is it worth the money? No again!

Leave it at the store and buy a set of gears.

TicketRed03
02-06-2004, 02:19 AM
I saw an article in an old MM&FF and they got great power from it on a 2001 cobra. I was thinking about getting one myself

Tomcat427
02-06-2004, 02:38 AM
is it worth the money?

No!

TicketRed03
02-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Why do you think it is a bad idea to buy the plasma booser? You say no, but without any reasons. I am just curious what the reasons for the no are?

Azure
02-06-2004, 09:52 AM
From what I've seen the older cars with plug wires pick up some hp but the newer cars with like ours with coil on plug ignitions don't benefit.

Tomcat427
02-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TicketRed03
Why do you think it is a bad idea to buy the plasma booser? You say no, but without any reasons. I am just curious what the reasons for the no are?

I say "No!" because there are other things you can spend the money on. The only place I know that reccomends it is Dallas Mustang who did a test on it. I am not a patron of Dallas Mustang for personal reasons and I do not trust their testing. I also have seen the car they did the test with and can tell you the guy took it off of his car afterwards. I have checked with several performance shops around Dallas and all of those have told me that they cause more problems than what they are worth. I have been told that they not only send extra spark to the plugs but to the rest of your electrical system causing electrical problems with the rest of your car. I believe Chaucer had one put on his car and did not reccomend it afterwards. That was before the twin turbo project he has going now. Here is the thread:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6115&highlight=Plasma

Quote from Chaucer "Needless to say, the dyno's showed no gain in hp or torque."

ShakeMe
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by TicketRed03
I saw an article in an old MM&FF and they got great power from it on a 2001 cobra. I was thinking about getting one myself

If it's not a set of heads(flow #s) or tuning(a place that you know), do not listen to magazine articles.

Plasma boosters are a waste of money. You'll do better by getting a timing adjuster for 1/2 the price. Our ignition system are near perfect for a NA car.

jpetre
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Bob Cosby is a well known racer and he put it on his car. He is all over ls1.com and corral.net and is very respected, unless you have an ls1. They don't like him cause he has ran his 99 Cobra nick named 'black cloud' to 11.85 with bolt on's and weight reduction.

Sorry the long story short is he lost 7 horsepower across the band and 2~3 ft. lbs of torq.

He had hell getting the car to run right afterwards. He had to replace a couple of coil packs at 100.00 a piece.

Martin99ACR
02-07-2004, 01:03 AM
After hearing what was said above I AM SCARED LOOK IN SIG TO SEE WHY!!!!

TicketRed03
02-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Martin99ACR,
Did you notcie any problems from the plasma booster? Electrical or otherwise?

Did you feel any gains in power at all? Do you think it was worth the money? Thank you all for the information

VetEtr
02-07-2004, 03:33 AM
how does a plasma booster work and does it increase hp? is it worth the money?

It works by taking the money out of your bank account and frying your electrical system. MM&FF did NOT get those gains on a 2001 Cobra, MM&FF reported that Dallas Mustang got those gains on a 2001 Cobra and DM didn't bother to post any real evidence, or even a real dyno sheet. Not that I would trust them anyway. It's a scam. If it worked, it would come stock on your car.

Tomcat427
02-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by VetEtr
It works by taking the money out of your bank account and frying your electrical system. MM&FF did NOT get those gains on a 2001 Cobra, MM&FF reported that Dallas Mustang got those gains on a 2001 Cobra and DM didn't bother to post any real evidence, or even a real dyno sheet. Not that I would trust them anyway. It's a scam. If it worked, it would come stock on your car.

:OFFTOPIC:

Welcome Aboard:CHEERS:

Chaucer
02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
The plasma boosters are a complete waste of money. Fortunately I have not seen any negative effects out of having it installed. I will have it disconnected when the mach goes to tuning this week. Here's what a couple of guys had to say about it on induction concepts forums (the people who are making my tt setup)

WeaponX:
"It created a lot of noise in my electical system and screwed up my MAFterburner. It didn't work right with the Plas Booster hooked up. If you run a piggyback setup it may have the same problems. Just thought I would give you a heads up since it gave me alot of headaches at first.
Better to know these things incase of a problem than to be running in circles looking at your stuff."

Khaine:
"Plasma booster isn't worth the time, effort or money.... try a MSD stacker 8 if you have to.... but I still wouldn't trust it"

Later in the same thread:
WeaponX:
"Well truthfully, I was trying to be nice about saying it sux. It's not really that great but since khaine said it first, I'm with him. Never liked it since it caused my problems. Sorry 2 whoever owns the MACH with the Plasma Booster. No offense to you, I just don't like it.
Even the Stacker 8 uses the same crappy principals. Truthfully, throw in some Autolight Copper Plugs grind the electrodes to a point and call it quits. The point on the electrode lessens the amount of energy needed to fire the plug creating a stronger spark. Don't let anybody fool you Cooper is one of the BEST conductors WAY better than Platinum.
The stock coils on the modular motors are fine. If you have a pre 99 then I would look into a MSD system like the DIS 4 or if you want to get crazy the 7."

Martin99ACR
02-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Ok here is MY opinion!!
Yes 300 dollars is alot of fu*king money, however my roomate and I just put on the Plasma Booster from Ignition Solutions---
No problems what-so-ever. My throttle response is insane, and I noticed alot of pull in the higher RPM's.
Conclusion:
I do believe that 300 dollars is an insane amount to pay for such gains, but that aside the product was well worth installing in 20 degree weather.:COOL:
Also everytime I pm'ed someone they wouldn't give be the correct response. You must buy the plasma booster for the '03 Cobra or the wiring will not match. Also the plasma booster is OBD-II compliant (On-board-diagnostics), so those who had electrical or check engine problems either didn't buy the correct one or didn't install it correctly!

TicketRed03
02-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Martin99ACR,
Do you happen to remember what part # it is for the 03 Cobra Plasma Booster? An e-mail I received fom Ignition Solutions said it was # PB-8130-01. Is that the one you have, or the wrong one causing the problems for some? Thank You

Tomcat427
02-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Mach1Marauder
Tomcat...............Strange thing you mentioned DM. I stopped there today to pickup a "CobraJet" emblem I tore off with a towel and seen da MoneyBooster under the glass case. I asked the VERY intelligent sales guy if it REALLY worked. I believe it was the car you talked about and he said it gained 20HP. I said ****! REally? He said, "But it may not do that for EVERY car."

My Oh My! LOL!

:SMASH: :SMASH:

Those memories are in the past! I must leave them there!

:SMASH: :SMASH: