PDA

View Full Version : Applying Touch Up Paint

wolverine81
01-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Has anybody here ever applied touch up paint? If so, is there any tips you could give me on applying it or any kind of tools or chemicals that might make the application easier? How long does it take to dry? Any info on this subject would be great, cosidering I need to fix a couple of spots on the mach and have never done it before. Thanks in advance for any info.

wolverine81
01-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

codymach
01-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Depending on the size of the chip in the paint...I use a toothpick to apply mine. I first clean/dry the spot very well. Then I apply a very small amount so I don't end up with a large ...raised paint spot. It dries within a few minutes. Ford sells it over the counter....if you have Torch Red it may be listed as Colorado Red on the touch up bottle.

Mach1 w/Shaker
01-31-2004, 09:17 PM
I'll give you my .02 use a toothpick. Let the paint run off of the toothpick into the chip. Do it in small stages until the chip is completely filled.

Mach1 w/Shaker
01-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Sorry codymach you must have posted while i was typing.:D

wolverine81
02-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have one more question though. If I get excess paint in another spot other than my ding, can i use a little paint thinner to get it of or will that hurt my current paint job? Should I just use a towel damp with water to get it off?

DSG2003Mach1
02-01-2004, 02:51 AM
i would not use paint thinner personally...if you get it somewhere else itll whipe right off with a paper towel while its wet..just make sure you get it all

InDShadow
02-01-2004, 11:54 AM
here this site might help you. I will have to do the same since I went to Best Buy yesterday and some idiot in a white mini van openned the door all the way and hit my car :(

Chip Repair (http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa110803a.htm)

surfnet
02-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Good article! Thanks! I've only had my Mach for a little less than 3 months. I've already had 2 rock chips in my windshield. I had those repaired a couple of weeks ago. I also have several paint chips on the hood. I70 on the east side of St. Louis is the worst road I've ever driven on for debris. You can turn your CD or radio off and hear the small bits of stuff hitting you...seriously. It's frustrating! My 01GT that I'd driven for about a year going in to work looked terrible. Thanks again! :)

wolverine81
02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Great info on the site. Thanks for the link. I will definately not touch the paint thinner.:THUMBSUP:

SHAKEN
02-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I think I seen this posted on another thread here havent bought it yet. Has anyone here used this product before?
http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html

JMG680
02-02-2004, 12:15 AM
nice thread I had a few chips and needed these tips. Thanks.

wolverine81
02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the link SHAKEN. I've finally worked up the nerve and I'm gonna put my touch up paint on today.:help: :THUMBSUP:

SHAKEN
02-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by wolverine81
Thanks for the link SHAKEN. I've finally worked up the nerve and I'm gonna put my touch up paint on today.:help: :THUMBSUP:
Heh no problem, did you go and purchase this? If so let me know if it lives up to its claims! I have done some touch up on hood from stone chips (really sucks cuz I LOVE TO DRIVE THIS CAR).
but you really cant get it smooth always a crater so to speak.
I was planning when it gets warmer to try it and when we get back in our home in March or April (we where involved in a home fire back inlate Oct 02 no one was injured thank god).

wolverine81
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Nah, I didn't go purchase any I just tried it on my own. Well, let me say that it is a bi*ch to put on and I stopped before I really screwed something up, so I guess I'm gonna have to go to a professional shop and pay the extra cost. Oh well. Good luck to you I hope you are able to put the touch paint on successfully, I couldn't get it to smooth out either so I just cleaned up what I had already put on and gave up after about an hour of trying to get it smooth.

torchred03
02-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by codymach
Ford sells it over the counter....if you have Torch Red it may be listed as Colorado Red on the touch up bottle.

%#&#! Why don't they just ****ing call it Torch Red... I have looked all over town for it.........anyway thanks for the info. :CHEERS: