PDA

View Full Version : Creaky door under my car!

smith30
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
This started maybe 2 weeks ago. 84K mi on the car and as far as I know it's the stock clutch. Everything is stock on it....cable, quadrant,firewall adjuster.

The "creaky door" happens during the last 1/4 of pedal travel when pressing clutch and the first 1/4 travel when releasing as you can see/hear in the video.

This doesn't happen all the time either. It comes and goes and seems to be more often when I have been driving for a bit and it's warmed up. I have NO other issues, clutch grabs and releases as normal and no vibration etc. All feels normal other than this funky noise.

My first thought is TOB??

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhcH2svDfoU)

Thanks guys
Dean

311-420
10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Mine started making that exact same sound at the end of clutch pedal travel last winter then it quit once summer cam around and it warmed up. Haven't heard it since then (hasn't gotten below 50* here yet though) but now it makes a whirling rotational sound the first couple sec of the day when I'm letting off the clutch. Won't make the sound again until the next morning. The tob is worn.

smith30
10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Ugh...I was afraid it is the TOB....I planned for the worst and started looking into how I would get to all the bolts and to remove the trans and making a plan of action lol...how in the HECK do you get to the starter top bolt LOL I laid on my back for about 20 min just looking around to try and fish a long extension from the front...no go lol

I don't know if I'd take it on my back in my garage...I may be asking for trouble mid project.

I may pay someone to do the grunt work...

Bmeagher
10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Ugh...I was afraid it is the TOB....I planned for the worst and started looking into how I would get to all the bolts and to remove the trans and making a plan of action lol...how in the HECK do you get to the starter top bolt LOL I laid on my back for about 20 min just looking around to try and fish a long extension from the front...no go lol

I don't know if I'd take it on my back in my garage...I may be asking for trouble mid project.

I may pay someone to do the grunt work...

It's a pain in the a** to get at any bolts on your back, life is so much easier with a hoist. They're only 3000 bucks for a good one. When i build my garage, it's gonna have a hoist. No if's....and's... or but's...

smith30
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
It's a pain in the a** to get at any bolts on your back, life is so much easier with a hoist. They're only 3000 bucks for a good one. When i build my garage, it's gonna have a hoist. No if's....and's... or but's...

A little hard only living in an apt....but I do have a 1 car garage LOL

Anyone know the cause of this? Can this go on for as long as I can stand it or will it cause more issues. I don't want something happening to the trans itself...I's rather catch it early. A couple hundred dollars to replace a $30 part.

Which could turn into a new clutch if it's already out..."while you're in there" and maybe a new pivot ball stud...lol WTF

Pi$$es me off because I CAN do it....but I don't have the means/tools to do it.

Anyone around KY wanna help out???? LOL I'll buy plenty of beer!

311-420
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
A year and ~5k miles with no issues. I'm running it until it starts that chirping bs they do or until it won't shift at 7k anymore.

XSELLR8
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
After how jacked up my friend's tob was before I changed it for him, I'd say to not bother with it unless it's really making some noise and vibrations.

As for the top bolts on the trans, it's really not bad if you have about 3 feet of extensions and a u joint socket attachment. Just run that combo parallel with the tranny. The ratchet part will need to be as far back as the rear of the tranny to achieve the needed angle. Although it seems impossible to re-install, it's not too bad 'cause the tranny will hang on the dowel pins while you start the bolts in by hand.