PDA

View Full Version : maf screen

MACH-FLY
01-24-2004, 02:16 AM
:confused:
Is there an advantage to removing the MAF screen?

Bill Hamilton
01-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Yes, no, maybe, I'm not sure......do a search. This has been debated many times. I personally think it depends on the level and type of other modifications you have. Some will say yes, it's smoother and more power. Some will say they can't tell any difference.

Now here's my version and only mine: I felt it would help by opening up the air intake slightly and removed the screen for about two weeks and around 400 miles including a 180 mile road trip. It seemed to run "smoother" and just as well if not better with the screen removed. But what I did notice was that on my one-two gear shift it would only "chirp" the tires whereas before with the screen in place it would violently break them loose to the point of losing traction telling me maybe there wasn't quite the power there as before. But at the time I chalked it up to weather conditions, road surface, or even poor driver technique. Finally I replaced the screen just for kicks and was was suprised to find my "violent, traction losing, neck snapping one-two shift" had returned on the same street surfaces, weather conditions, and same driver. That convinced me to keep it there unless I do some serious mods to include a dyno tune to retune the the car for the increased airflow of running without the screen.

I really would like to see someone do back to back dyno runs on a stock Mach 1 to see how the numbers would run with and without the screen.

Call me crazy but that's my story and I'm sticking to it :SMASH: .

351c.i.d
01-24-2004, 03:11 AM
I agree with Bill. I took mine out and while it felt much smoother up top, along with a little better pull, it felt a bit weak down low. I just reinstalled it a few days ago and I too can chirp my tires going into 2nd and 3rd.
Give it a try and see!

Rubbersidedown
01-24-2004, 09:56 AM
When i removed mine I noticed I could easily chirp the tires in 4th gear where as before I hadn't, and that was with traction control on.

MACH-FLY
01-24-2004, 01:31 PM
So gains, if any are towards top end and giving up low end torque. Wow! all from a little screen. Thank you gentlemen. I think I will leave mine in for now.
Thanks again.

Yellow Jacket
01-24-2004, 02:06 PM
For what it's worth, I had a stalling problem while coasting with the screen out. Put it back in and it seems to have solved the problem. Drove about 350 miles with it out and the car would consistently stall going down a hill on the way home (1/4 mile grade). Now, after driving about 2K miles with it in, it hasn't stalled once on that same hill.

I've concluded that little screen might be there to straighten out airflow, and that without it, turbulence may cause a problem...but have no scientific way of proving this hypothesis.

MACH-FLY
01-24-2004, 04:15 PM
The turbulence theory makes sense.
Thanks.:THUMBSUP:

MACH-FLY
01-28-2004, 03:54 PM
how do I end this thread?:??:

codymach
01-28-2004, 04:05 PM
You just did!:D

DanK
01-28-2004, 04:45 PM