PDA

View Full Version : Original oil filter

GT2MACH
01-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Has anybody else noticed that the original FL820S oil filter on their mach was different than the store bought FL820S? I've been buying these for years for my GT and F150, so when I went to do my first oil change on the mach, I was surprised to see that there were some differences as follows:

different color - original was grey, store bought filters have always been white.

smaller diameter - original outside diameter was smaller than the store bought, tried 5 different oil filter wrenches including the one that always works for my store bought FL820S, and none fit.

weight - the original filter was significantly heavier, even discounting any oil in it.

The new filter fit fine. Was threaded right and gasket lined up. Was just wondering what was up with the original one? Anybody else notice this? Is there by chance a different Canadian FL820S that they maybe put on my car?

By the way, if anybody else has this problem and can't get the original filter off because their oil filter wrench is slightly too big and the moron that put it on has never heard of "hand tight" just put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the filter and try again.....problem solved.

ShakeMe
01-18-2004, 11:59 PM
The one I got from Walmart looks different than the stock one. The stock one says "Extended Life".

DanK
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Do a search on this subject here. The original filters are gray. Something about so the dealers know whether you changed your oil yet or not.

DSG2003Mach1
01-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Dank - thats exactly right. When my friends stock 00GT split the crank in half, he had a Mobil1 filter on it that happened to be grey, and was apparently a screw up at the factory because it had no Mobil 1 stamp. They tried to void his warranty sayin he hadnt changed his oil, or at least the filter in 25000 miles