PDA

View Full Version : Ground clearance problem?

vadermach
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I have JBA midlength headers matching catted H-pipe and borla stinger catbacks which were installed over a year ago. I also have steeda sport springs for just a slight drop but I only have about 3 inches ground clearance from the midpipe to the ground which I have been dealing with by avoiding speed bumps etc. Does anyone else have this low of ground clearance with a similar exhaust? I know a lot of folks run the H&R ss and Eibach kits which lower more.

Con's Mach1
01-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I have JBA midlength headers matching catted H-pipe and borla stinger catbacks which were installed over a year ago. I also have steeda sport springs for just a slight drop but I only have about 3 inches ground clearance from the midpipe to the ground which I have been dealing with by avoiding speed bumps etc. Does anyone else have this low of ground clearance with a similar exhaust? I know a lot of folks run the H&R ss and Eibach kits which lower more.Eibach Pro Kits, won't lower too much, but still give it a nice stance. Like our GT.

try846
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I have the Eibach pro kit, with my SLP x pipe it drags still,it dragged with my Pypes X pipe, forgot the third one I had. They all dragged even with the minimal lowering.

japan4racing
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
h&r super sports here with no isos. In this pic you can see my longtubes hanging down thats about the lowest thing on my car. They scrape sometimes but Im pretty good about keeping them from scraping. Ive been driving lowered cars for a long time and Ive had plenty lower than this car.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/japan4racing/102_2365.jpg

vadermach
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I have had some lowered cars as well but never had a problem with the stock exhaust. A baseball will not roll under the exhaust now on a flat surface with no one in the car. Put driver and passenger in the car and clearance is halved to about an inch.

japan4racing
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
**** that is pretty low......Im gonna go see what can fit under mine

japan4racing
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
just went out and checked. the lowest part on mine is at the collector flange for the headers.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/japan4racing/termite.jpg

I dont have a similar set-up though so none of this really helps you I guess. I have never seen others with mid-legths complain about this problem though. that does seem pretty low though.

vadermach
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
My headers are not the problem it is the mid-pipe which is hanging so low. I am going to hopefully put on a MM panhard bar this spring/summer so maybe it can be adjusted at that point.

japan4racing
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
My headers are not the problem it is the mid-pipe which is hanging so low. I am going to hopefully put on a MM panhard bar this spring/summer so maybe it can be adjusted at that point.

It could be the headers though. If the length of them is making the midpipe hang lower thats not an adjustable issue....or if the midpipe itself is longer than it needs to be it will cause it to hang lower. see what Im sayin? Im not sure about what adjustability you have with yours but with mine the midpipe will only hang as low as the headers allow it to. The only way to adjust any of it would be to cut pipes and start welding. Honestly my midpipe is probably just as low now that I think about it. That beer can would roll under it but not by much and baseball is taller than a can. You just gotta dodge them speedbumps are raise the car back up!

vadermach
01-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I see what your saying. Guess I'll continue to dodge the bumps. I've had 4 lowered stangs before this one and this is the only one which is giving me a problem. I will not go back to 4x4 look period and these springs were just a bit lower but not drastic so I will press on dealing with it. Just makes me wince every time it bottoms out and scrapes across the road which is more often than I would like.

japan4racing
01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I see what your saying. Guess I'll continue to dodge the bumps. I've had 4 lowered stangs before this one and this is the only one which is giving me a problem. I will not go back to 4x4 look period and these springs were just a bit lower but not drastic so I will press on dealing with it. Just makes me wince every time it bottoms out and scrapes across the road which is more often than I would like.

It may make you feel better to get under the car and look at what damage you already have. I have bottomed out many times and it kills me but when Im under the car and I look at the headers and midpipe I dont see anything serious....just light scratches. Alot of times it sounds alot worse than it really is.

try846
01-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Here in Massachusetts the roads are not so forgiving, actually they are horrible, I still pucker when driving my Z71. Couldn't imagine the car being any lower.

vadermach
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I check under the car after every scrape. I don't see any damage yet but the scrapes are occurring right at the connection flange for the h-pipe and catback. If it hits just right hard enough I would think it may be able to pull the connection apart and drop the catback. Not a pleasant thought at speed.

ASH302
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
i don't have midlenght or long tubs but but i do run the H&R's and mine sits pretty low, i just am careful where i drive. i wouldn't want it any lower, stance is nice for me. my mid-pipe has scrap a few times, but nothing bad too it has happen. just be careful and if its such a pain raise it back up. its just part of it. these are pictures before deployment stance is still the same

ASh

vadermach
01-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Its more annoying than a problem. Just sucks because I cannot get in/out of my driveway without it scraping some. Its just getting through the slight drainage area on the street in front of my house. I chose the steeda sport springs just for that purpose about 5yrs ago so it would not be to low and the stance looks pretty good. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if I could adjust it and tuck the exhaust back under the car more as there seems to be plenty of room between the exhaust and frame. But s stated earlier the mid-lengths may be positioned in such a way that this would be impossible. We'll see when I get back under the car for the MM PHB install.

Mach916
01-02-2011, 02:49 AM
i would get your x pipe modified from a exhaust shop..that is just ridiculous

Rumplemenz
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
im lovin this thread.... baseball, beer and horsepower.. sweet :)

mach1metalhead
01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
i have Mac LTS, Prochamber and Stingers and Eibach Sportlines. i'll take pics when i finish my car up later, but on every (large or small) speed bump, i scrape the crap out of my Prochamber, but the steel seems to be holding up nicely, and if i were to run into an issue, i'll just swap the Prochamber. sounds too good and springs look too good to go any other route..

ASH302
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
im lovin this thread.... baseball, beer and horsepower.. sweet :)

LOL gave me a good laugh with that one

ASh

rich1
01-05-2011, 12:41 AM

Panhard bar will not raise or lower the car . It is designed just to keep the rear axle centered side to side.:smokin:

vadermach
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I know all about the panhard bar. The exhaust will probably need to be adjusted in order to install it since I have borlas so I figured I could correct my ground clearance problem at the same time as the install.

ASH302
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
i think that is the best way to do it. work smarter not harder

ASh