PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lose body fat?

jasionox666x
11-01-2010, 09:09 PM
****ing aye.

I weigh 310 and my bf percentage is 38. I'm 23 and I'm 6ft tall.

I need to get down to 22ish percent.

What's the best way to target body fat? I've got the diet down, Ive lost 15 pounds in two weeks on the diet, healthy one of course (us fat people lose fast in the beginning). I just need the exercise.

Cardio cardio cardio?

I'm thinking of taking DVDs and smacking them onto my iPad and getting on a stationary bike.

Is there an authentic website that tells me what my heart rate should be for max fat burning?

CompOrange
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
If you want to burn a LOT of fat and hit a lot of muscle groups, rowing is probably one of the best exercises you can do. Running some is also going to be helpful, but if that bothers your knees or anything then I'd recommend using and elliptical instead.

60-85% of your max heart rate is where I would be. At 23 that should be in the neighborhood of 197. Anything in that area will be fine at losing weight. The lower end of that will burn a higher percentage of fat, but you'll burn more calories at the higher intensities in the aerobic zone. It all comes down to burning more calories than you take in

st0ck Mach 1
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
If you want to burn a LOT of fat and hit a lot of muscle groups, rowing is probably one of the best exercises you can do. Running some is also going to be helpful, but if that bothers your knees or anything then I'd recommend using and elliptical instead.

60-85% of your max heart rate is where I would be. At 23 that should be in the neighborhood of 197. Anything in that area will be fine at losing weight. The lower end of that will burn a higher percentage of fat, but you'll burn more calories at the higher intensities in the aerobic zone. It all comes down to burning more calories than you take in

ditto rowing is really good. I just finished Cardio Rehab and comp orange is dead on, about 60 percent max heart rate (220 minus your age is max) to burn the fat and you WILL lose poundage! Walking on a treadmill is extremely effective at burning fat untill you get in shape enough to row, rowing is a great all around workout.

mach1 03
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Don't eat as much, and yes I'm being serious. In order to sustain that much weight you were eating far more than what you actually needed. Cut what you were eating I half and cut out all sodas for two weeks and after you get used to eating that amount of food cut it in half again. Guaranteed you will lose weight. My dad lost almost 50lb (all he wanted to) by doing this, and he never exercised and most importantly, he has not gained it back. It is a matter of changing your life style, after you get used to it you won't want to eat as much. Good luck.

Mach828
11-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Eat healthy and bust your A$$. Only way. Run, bike, swim, and do high rep high intensity weightlifting with little break in between sets.

Or if you can handle it, go join a local MMA gym. I personally think nothing compares. When I wrestled, grappled, kick boxed, and worked out at MMA gyms I was at 3% body fat. (5'9" 155lbs). I could rep 250lbs on bench easy, run a mile in 5 minutes flat, and I felt like a champ.

Mach828
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Don't listen to this guy. Not working and just eating half of your normal portions doesn't make you healthier and could even make you worse off.

The one good advice is quit sodas all together.
Lay off the alcohol, sodas, and fast food.

Sweet potatoes and tuna are your friend :)

Don't eat as much, and yes I'm being serious. In order to sustain that much weight you were eating far more than what you actually needed. Cut what you were eating I half and cut out all sodas for two weeks and after you get used to eating that amount of food cut it in half again. Guaranteed you will lose weight. My dad lost almost 50lb (all he wanted to) by doing this, and he never exercised and most importantly, he has not gained it back. It is a matter of changing your life style, after you get used to it you won't want to eat as much. Good luck.

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 06:08 AM

Oh wow I've never used the rowing machines.

Weird thing is, my body isn't 'fat'. My stomach is the problem. My upper body and legs are all perfectly fine. I used to skate and play football.

Bullitt4204
11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Eat whole grain foods, no bleached white flour, no white noodles, no white rolls or bread, no sugar or artificial sweeteners (drink water!). I'm a small guy, 5'7". I weighed 190 lbs (too much for my frame). I tried everything as far as dieting, I gave up all sugar and sweeteners in Jan 2010. Nothing really happened until I started eating whole grain foods like whole weat bread, cherios, etc. When I want something sweet, I eat fruit, like rasins, peaches, strawberries, etc. I have lost 19lbs since May. I also started walking and running on a tread mill every other day. My goal is to loose 1lb/month (an easily acheiveable goal for everyone!). No matter what I loose this month, my goal is to still loose a pound next month. My ideal weight for me will be 150lbs (I weighed 125 lbs when I got married at 30 yrs old, but that was too thin!). So, if you could loose 1lb every month (instead of gaining 1lb every month as you get older), in a few years, you could loose quite a bit of weight. Good luck!

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
I have the eating down, trust me lol. It's the exercise I need to target correctly.

I have until July / August to either drop down to 210 pounds or get to 22% bf

weaver
11-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Get up and do something. It isn't that difficult to at least walk or ride a bike. You don't need a techinal or complicated work out routine. Just do something and stop eating so much. Eat a good breakfast and don't eat a late dinner. Sounds to me like you have difficulty motivating yourself. How many threads is this about your weight already? I know everyone is being really nice and trying to help you. Problem is you're not helping yourself as much as you need to be. I too have had problems with being lazy and eating too much. I "used" to weight train regularly and was chiseled at 190lbs(5'10"). That was years ago. Over the years I've packed on the pounds. For the past 3yrs I've been on BP meds and have weighed as much as 235lbs. I'm at 205 now just from eating less, cutting junk food, staying busy and getting on the treadmill at least 3 times a week. Having my 38-40" pants falling off of me have given me even more motivation to get healthy and lose more weight. Also getting of the BP meds is motivation for me too. I just hope for your sake, not the military, that you get healthy and lose the weight. At your age you have a much better chance to lose it and not have major health concerns later on down the road :3amin:

np_mach1
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I have the eating down, trust me lol. It's the exercise I need to target correctly.

I have until July / August to either drop down to 210 pounds or get to 22% bf

I thought we all tried to help you out with this several weeks ago. Congrats on the weight lost already!

You need: Hard work. Target heart rate training based upon your anerobic threshold (AT)... There is no such thing as spot reduction unless you Lipo, so if you lose weight you lose it all over not just on your stomach. Get off your butt and exercise, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? In my opinion if you want the best exercise, as long as you are training in the correct heart rate zones, then SWIM. Have you ever seen a competitive swimmer in poor shape? I know swimming is not always an option, but you can always run.

I used to work for this Health Club and they have some of the best trainers and info out there for the public. Go to this link to learn more about what I am talking about:

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/magazine/index.cfm?strWebAction=article_detail&intArticleId=640

BTW: get a polar heart rate monitor of you want to do this type of training. You need the type of monitor that has a chest strap. Look at it like a tool you have to buy to work on your Mach. Yeah, it costs money, but it helps you do the job the right way, easier, and it saves you money in the long run.

lil devil
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Most exercise bikes dont help that much. The better cardio machines are rowing and ellipticals. Of coarse good old fashion running is great too. I've been in the navy for 7 years now. I went through a time period where I let myself go and ended up having to lose about 6% body fat extremely quick. I would recommend concentrating less on cardio and more on a muscle building workout. Muscle burns more calories and fat quicker and speeds up the metabolism. I did a 5 day workout plan, 2 days cardio and 3 days weight training. And the other 2 days were cool down days to keep from overworking the muscles. Mix your workout up and don't target the same areas everytime. Also do a good 10-15 min warmup and cooldown ech session. Finally I recommend doing the workouts early in the morning.

littlemags
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
HIIT cardio is one of the best forms of fat lose....I compete nationally (bodybuilding) and use it as a standard for fat lose.

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
So you wouldn't recommend using the watch style ones?
And yes I've posted this before but I got so overwhelmed. I just read that article you posted and I appreciate the link. It makes sense to follow that with the way it explained it all.

I thought we all tried to help you out with this several weeks ago. Congrats on the weight lost already!

You need: Hard work. Target heart rate training based upon your anerobic threshold (AT)... There is no such thing as spot reduction unless you Lipo, so if you lose weight you lose it all over not just on your stomach. Get off your butt and exercise, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? In my opinion if you want the best exercise, as long as you are training in the correct heart rate zones, then SWIM. Have you ever seen a competitive swimmer in poor shape? I know swimming is not always an option, but you can always run.

I used to work for this Health Club and they have some of the best trainers and info out there for the public. Go to this link to learn more about what I am talking about:

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/magazine/index.cfm?strWebAction=article_detail&intArticleId=640

BTW: get a polar heart rate monitor of you want to do this type of training. You need the type of monitor that has a chest strap. Look at it like a tool you have to buy to work on your Mach. Yeah, it costs money, but it helps you do the job the right way, easier, and it saves you money in the long run.

np_mach1
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
So you wouldn't recommend using the watch style ones?
And yes I've posted this before but I got so overwhelmed. I just read that article you posted and I appreciate the link. It makes sense to follow that with the way it explained it all.

It's no problem. Yes, a watch style one is what you should get, just make sure it has a chest strap to measure your heart rate. They are more accurate.

Don't forget to weight train. If you weight train using the AT method then you will maximize on your weight loss as well. So don't take 4 minute breaks between sets walk around the gym looking at yourself in the mirror, and talk to some hot chick by the water fountain. HAHA!!! Keep your heart rate up in the zones maximum results. Don't max out on weight like some of the other knuckle heads in the gym. You don't need to for what you are trying to accomplish. Just use what ever weight you can to rep out. For example 3-5 sets of 10 reps.

ALSO... Don't forget to stretch, You don't want an injury to stop your progress or set you back at all while doing these exercises.

nitehunter1989
11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't forget to weight train. If you weight train using the AT method then you will maximize on your weight loss as well. So don't take 4 minute breaks between sets walk around the gym looking at yourself in the mirror, and talk to some hot chick by the water fountain. HAHA!!! Keep your heart rate up in the zones maximum results.

depending on how how she is, it might keep the heart rate up haha, but yea man cardio after weight training and watch your portions on what you eat, whole grain foods are best.

UNLUCKIER
11-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Lifting weights and running are you two best options.. I always live by what side of the gym are the fatties on... That is the side to stay away from.. Busting your *** and two a days is the only way your going to melt the weight off with.. You say you have the eating down and that is the biggest battle for people.

Fenixfire
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I go to cardio kickboxing 3 times a week and each class is one hour straight of punishing cardio exercises with no breaks whatsoever. I burn about 1000 calories in just a single one hour class. You need to join a gym and do a program. When you have someone else pushing you then you will work harder and go farther than you would ever push yourself on your own.

An MMA gym is a good place to go especially if you want to get in shape fast. Its not cheap but the trainers there will kick your *** and you will easily meet your goals in time if not exceed them.

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I go to cardio kickboxing 3 times a week and each class is one hour straight of punishing cardio exercises with no breaks whatsoever. I burn about 1000 calories in just a single one hour class. You need to join a gym and do a program. When you have someone else pushing you then you will work harder and go farther than you would ever push yourself on your own.

An MMA gym is a good place to go especially if you want to get in shape fast. Its not cheap but the trainers there will kick your *** and you will easily meet your goals in time if not exceed them.

I've been to an mma class for two weeks. It kicked the living hell out of me but I always felt so **** good afterwards. I might look into a cardio kickboxing class, see how expensive those are.

Fenixfire
11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I've been to an mma class for two weeks. It kicked the living hell out of me but I always felt so **** good afterwards. I might look into a cardio kickboxing class, see how expensive those are.

They are free at the club I go to since Im a member.

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
They are free at the club I go to since Im a member.

So you're a member in a gym and they offer this class to you?

I'll have to research gyms. What gym are you with. Is it a regular gym or one that specializes in boxing?

Fenixfire
11-02-2010, 05:21 PM
So you're a member in a gym and they offer this class to you?

I'll have to research gyms. What gym are you with. Is it a regular gym or one that specializes in boxing?

Its a full service gym. Sports and Wellness. There are five locations here. Complete with free weights and fixed, tons of cardio equipment, kettle bells, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hot tubs, lockers, showers and abunch of different classes like body pump, cardio kickboxing, yoga, pilates, etc.

Its super nice. They are owned by wellbridge which is a national gym company. You could look em up and see if they have any in your area.

mellamoray
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Eat healthy and bust your A$$. Only way. Run, bike, swim, and do high rep high intensity weightlifting with little break in between sets.

Or if you can handle it, go join a local MMA gym. I personally think nothing compares. When I wrestled, grappled, kick boxed, and worked out at MMA gyms I was at 3% body fat. (5'9" 155lbs). I could rep 250lbs on bench easy, run a mile in 5 minutes flat, and I felt like a champ.

After reading this, I am now putting down the computer and going outside for a run! got my 5 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving morning, trying to break the 40 min and shoot for 37. :3amin:

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
All we have here is LA fitness.

np_mach1
11-02-2010, 07:38 PM
LA should offer some classes with your membership... atleast the ones I have seen do. They may not have all of the extras like a health club would.

Are you a member of a gym yet? If not find a couple you want to try out and go online and print off a pass (most offer a week trial for free) to see what they all have to offer.

Fenixfire
11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
LA should offer some classes with your membership... atleast the ones I have seen do. They may not have all of the extras like a health club would.

Are you a member of a gym yet? If not find a couple you want to try out and go online and print off a pass (most offer a week trial for free) to see what they all have to offer.

:agree: or keep doing the MMA thing even tho it is pricey. All the MMA gyms here are 100 plus bucks a month.....I pay 40 a month for the best health club in the city with all the amenities. BIG difference.

jasionox666x
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
LA offers a bunch of classes here and its only 30 a month. I'm joining after I try out for a week, also try out ballys

jasionox666x
11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Found a boxing club here. 100 a month. Going to check it out.
I get free membership to two gyms due to where I live and my work anyway, no need pay for another.

Thetenthround.com

Has anyone heard of it? It also has mma which is good. I can go in any time to hit the sack as well and practice what I've been learning in classes.

This is gonna be fun.

np_mach1
11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Found a boxing club here. 100 a month. Going to check it out.
I get free membership to two gyms due to where I live and my work anyway, no need pay for another.

Thetenthround.com

Has anyone heard of it? It also has mma which is good. I can go in any time to hit the sack as well and practice what I've been learning in classes.

This is gonna be fun.

AWESOME! get in there and have a good time. It takes 21 day to create a habbit. Results will keep you motivated, so make sure you are exercising correctly to maximize your success

jv7
11-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Your're approaching winter in PA, get outside and walk, run, whatever you can do in the cold. Your body has to work harder to maintain its core temperature. Make sure you keep your metabolism up, dieting alone will eventually slow down your metabolism because your body will go into survival mode, once you start eating normally you'll gain back the pounds plus some. You'll have to find what works best for you. Try hitting a heavy bag. You'll be amazed how good of a workout this will give you. You can download a boxing timer via Iphone or Itouch. Great app. Good luck.

np_mach1
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Your're approaching winter in PA, get outside and walk, run, whatever you can do in the cold. Your body has to work harder to maintain its core temperature. Make sure you keep your metabolism up, dieting alone will eventually slow down your metabolism because your body will go into survival mode, once you start eating normally you'll gain back the pounds plus some. You'll have to find what works best for you. Try hitting a heavy bag. You'll be amazed how good of a workout this will give you. You can download a boxing timer via Iphone or Itouch. Great app. Good luck.

As long as he is eating 5-6 healthy meals a day then his metabolism will speed up, not slow down. Most peoples metabolisms slow down after they hit 18-30 is becasue of poor eating habits, lack of exercise, genetics, etc.

Your body doesn't have to work harder to keep your core temp up in the cold when you are exercising. If you are laying on the ground... then yes. In fact the opposite would be true about exercise. Your body tries to cool down when you exercise and the cold would make it easier for your body to come back to a normal temp. You, technically, would get a better result exercising in the warm weather.

jasionox666x
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow. My bf percentage isn't 38 like I though. It's 33!

I can smell it. My goal will be to get down to the teens though and into the excellent percentage which is 11.

I signed up today and start going tomorrow. I will get an assessment and the trainer will go over with what I should do to schock my body with various workouts.

Sunday morning at 8 I'm starting my first aerobic kickboxing class.

I'm pumped. This is it. Total transformation

Bill Hamilton
11-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Wow. My bf percentage isn't 38 like I though. It's 33!

I can smell it. My goal will be to get down to the teens though and into the excellent percentage which is 11.

I signed up today and start going tomorrow. I will get an assessment and the trainer will go over with what I should do to schock my body with various workouts.

Sunday morning at 8 I'm starting my first aerobic kickboxing class.

I'm pumped. This is it. Total transformation

Just stay pumped on day two, three, and etc. Getting there is easy, staying there is your goal. Good Luck.

nitehunter1989
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
this is awesome man, good luck, and research what to do as an entry for bootcamp, they will talk about a physical level to get to before you leave.

jasionox666x
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
this is awesome man, good luck, and research what to do as an entry for bootcamp, they will talk about a physical level to get to before you leave.

I have a guy here I know that is in and he said he will get me all the numbers needed to pass boot camp. This way I can set goals and work toward them.

jasionox666x
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Can you guys help me with a training routine?
I want to hit the weights on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and do cardio on the other days.

I need to come up with a 3 days split routine.

I was thinking

Wednesdays - chest and arms
Fridays - legs and abs
Saturdays - shoulders and back

?

Anyone have any input?

jasionox666x
11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/beauty/healthfitness/fitness/heartratemonitors/PRD~474891/Oregon+Scientific+Digital+Heart+Rate+Monitor.jsp

nitehunter1989
11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
that sounds alright to me, at the gym i know a lot of trainers offer to come up with a routine based on what you want to do. you could check into that.
a great site that has a ton of different exercises is shapefit.com

jasionox666x
11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Sportline-1025-Mens-Heart-Monitor/dp/B002GGEM6E

I got this one instead. It has an alarm for when I hit over my target area which was a good selling point.

gotmach
11-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Sex

jasionox666x
11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Lol

wdwrdcrzr
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Dont eat carbs

Historian
11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
You don't need no stinking gym. Get outside and run. This is the most radical and enjoyable way to stay in shape.

Run Forest, run. Specially in the mild winter climate you live in.

jasionox666x
11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
You don't need no stinking gym. Get outside and run. This is the most radical and enjoyable way to stay in shape.

Run Forest, run. Specially in the mild winter climate you live in.

mild my ***
wind indexing at 30 degrees at the moment, we get into single digit numbers during the winter

HamMach1
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
High Intensity Interval Training... "HIIT" is pretty well known to be one of the best ways to cut the fat but maintain muscle mass. Check out it.

nitehunter1989
12-31-2010, 10:47 AM
how is the weight loss going?

ourstable
12-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Going to the gym has been the biggest help for me. Too easy to make excuses if I work out at home.

jasionox666x
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
how is the weight loss going?

Not gonna lie but my diet sucked *** so it went nowhere.
I also got a dog, I walk with her.

:eyes:

I got the heart rate monitor though that is a watch and I did my heart rate calculations. Absolutely no excuses in 2011. I'm going to open a blog about it too. I also got a full time job and work till 6pm every day and went to school from 7-10, no time at all.

np_mach1
01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Not gonna lie but my diet sucked *** so it went nowhere.
I also got a dog, I walk with her.

:eyes:

I got the heart rate monitor though that is a watch and I did my heart rate calculations. Absolutely no excuses in 2011. I'm going to open a blog about it too. I also got a full time job and work till 6pm every day and went to school from 7-10, no time at all.

GO to they gym before work. Wake your butt up early and your body will reward you all day.

Write down your goal and look at it everyday. Your ULTIMATE goal, what you are trying to achieve from this, not your weight goal. Focus on that goal and let nothing stand in your way. If you keep looking at your obstacles you have taken your eyes off of your goal. FOCUS. :THUMBSUP:

jasionox666x
01-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Well last night I played xbox kinect. I did hurdles, jumps, ducks, played some soccer. For about an hour I played, was at around 10-11 pm last night.

This morning I woke up and had a banana. In about an hour I will have a cup of cherios for a snack. I also got the "cook this, not that" app on my iPad. Good stuff.

Tonight when I get off of work I'm going to the gym and doing cardio on the elliptical or bike, whichever I feel like. Strapping on the heart rate monitor too.

Tut
01-03-2011, 10:23 AM
how do you like the watch heart rate monitor?
thinking to get one

jasionox666x
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
how do you like the watch heart rate monitor?
thinking to get one

Haven't used it yet but set it up. Takes some time to get used to the menus and buttons depending on the model and features.

Like mine will alarm if I'm over or under my target. It also calculates my fat burning zone, max, rest, the whole 9 yards. Records my avg rate, calories burned, it's waterproof too.

I've read a lot and this seems like the best way to go for losing the fat and getting my endurance up. I don't want to waste my time at a gym because I fail to hit the heart rate.

One thing that you really should look for are the models with the chest strap. They are more accurate. It's a strap you wear arou d your chest that transmits the information to the watch. Other then that look out for for what you need. The alarm feature is what I was looking for and waterproof. Other then that I really didn't care about the other options but now that I have them I know I'll use them.

jasionox666x
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Sometimes I eat hummus.
I found some recipes for it so I know what goes into it.

Yesterday for breakfast I had a banana, 2 hours later I had cereal and hot tea. Then I ate some baked ziti with tomato sauce.
Some sushi, a sandwich with veggies only, on rye bread.

At home I had tilapia and green beans. Popcorn in the evening.

Nothing but water to drink and a glass of 2% milk.

Took the dog out for a nice walk.

Today after work I'm taking my heart rate monitor and I'm going to hit up the bikes at the gym. Maybe swim afterwards, or weights, not sure but definitely cardiovascular.