PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal, GM vs. Ford

06TBSS
08-01-2010, 04:32 PM
So let me start out by saying I've always owned only GM vehicles, Cadillac, Pontiac, and Chevy. My first car was Trans Am. My fastest car is a Trans Am. I have a pointless family vehicle lol a Trailblazer SS with 500 something horse.

Now enter the Mach 1. First off it's my wife's car (basically) Never did I imagine having one. I always liked them, just ya know, not my cup o tea. It's a steep learning curve for me. Especially something with more than one cam. Let alone overhead cam's.

Now for some funny stuff. When I'm in it and I see a nice F body, or Vette, or anything else I like, I'll give em a thumbs up or something. Usually I just get a weird look in return. Now in all my time of driving GM vehicles I have never once had anyone in a Ford give a nod to me lol. Now this seems to only apply to normal non racing type of people. I have friends that drive all sorts of cars/trucks and we can appreciate good engineering and hard work.

My big deal is, what's it matter what emblem it has on it. As long as someone has a real love for vehicles, it shouldn't matter.

Blackpony04
08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
As long as GM owes the taxpayers money I'll continue to flip off their cars thankyouverymuch.... :smokin:

JaybTorchedMach
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
As long as GM owes the taxpayers money I'll continue to flip off their cars thankyouverymuch.... :smokin:

:agree::concerned

Mach828
08-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Ya seriously I have to pay enough dam taxes without GM taking more of my money. That is one thing that really ticks me off about GM and another reason to love Ford more.

I've had a guy in a vette tell me my car sounded great and looks really good. I told him the same. If the guy is cool, I usually can appreciate a good looking gm. The other day a guy had a gold 60s camaro from back in the day and I had to tell him that thing looked sexy.

Azure Blurr
08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
This thread should not have gone past post #2. Falcon should delete all other responses, lock the thread and make it a sticky!

shadowmaker
08-01-2010, 06:38 PM

I m 40 yrs old, my uncle was the chevy truck manager for 38 yrs. I grew up around a chevy dealership. It was always chevy trucks, vettes and camaros. Once GM did what they did, I just refuse to buy another one......and the new camaro is UGLY.

Thunderbolt
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM

:31: Yeah, everyone owns alittle bit of GM whether you like it or not. I bought my first Mustang in '92 and I've been loyal to Ford every since. I can respect and compliment another brand, it just depends what it is. I really do like the Challenger and I think if I was a total independant I'd pick it.

24kmach
08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
The last Chevy I owned was a POS. I bought it new. They knew there were built in defects and hung their customers out to dry. That was in 1985. A lot of us are like elephants and don't forget. :anger:

65fastback2+2
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
because chevy people are typically

a) stuck up vette owner
b) redneck camaro/trans am/GTO/truck owner

we would like to be associated with neither

SHAKERRR
08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, Friday, while driving home in the Mach, I moved over for a 74' Camaro (looked and sounded good) coming up behind me on the highway. He looks over and I give him the thumbs up. He looked at me like I had three heads and kept going. All I kept thinking was :anger: "you stuck up punk, I could of smoked your a-- if I wanted to". Too old to street race anymore.

My Mach is my first Ford. After the 'bail-outs', it won't be my last. No more Chevys for me. As American tax payers, we should all stand behind a company that could have easily taken our money for some nice bonuses.

gbranton
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The last Chevy I owned was a POS. I bought it new. They knew there were built in defects and hung their customers out to dry.

They use their customers to finish the R&D on their cars.

Unrealford
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, Friday, while driving home in the Mach, I moved over for a 74' Camaro (looked and sounded good) coming up behind me on the highway. He looks over and I give him the thumbs up. He looked at me like I had three heads and kept going. All I kept thinking was :anger: "you stuck up punk, I could of smoked your a-- if I wanted to". Too old to street race anymore.

My Mach is my first Ford. After the 'bail-outs', it won't be my last. No more Chevys for me. As American tax payers, we should all stand behind a company that could have easily taken our money for some nice bonuses.

I agree,

falcongtho3
08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
The whole Ford vs Chevy thing goes way back bfore any of us (except Russ and Bill ) were born. It live on both on and off the track, and continues to this day in those of us who bleed Ford blue, and will not find a GM anywhere on our property. I know plenty of GM people who feel the same way about Fords.
That said, it's generally in good fun and there is a respect of cars for those who appreciate a muscle car. I'd love to have a '69 T/A (and very nearly did, years ago), but that's about the only GM product that does it for me. I would very much like to have a Viper, but that's not GM or Ford, it's just an appreciation I have for those cars that strike the right chord with me.

:borg:

2k4mach
08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
The whole Ford vs Chevy thing goes way back bfore any of us (except Russ and Bill ) were born. It live on both on and off the track, and continues to this day in those of us who bleed Ford blue, and will not find a GM anywhere on our property. I know plenty of GM people who feel the same way about Fords.
That said, it's generally in good fun and there is a respect of cars for those who appreciate a muscle car. I'd love to have a '69 T/A (and very nearly did, years ago), but that's about the only GM product that does it for me. I would very much like to have a Viper, but that's not GM or Ford, it's just an appreciation I have for those cars that strike the right chord with me.

i can help you out on that viper want :3amin:

06TBSS
08-01-2010, 09:57 PM
So some of you are basing it on the government funding? What about Chrysler? This was the second time the government got them out of closing.

Azure Blurr
08-01-2010, 10:09 PM
So some of you are basing it on the government funding? What about Chrysler? This was the second time the government got them out of closing.

Chrysler has been dead for a long time, ain't it? :OUCH:
I do not even consider them anymore.

06TBSS
08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Wait.....Shoulda put Diamler-Chrysler.

2k4mach
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Chrysler has been dead for a long time, ain't it? :OUCH:
I do not even consider them anymore.

yeah cant get any ****ing parts from them. 8 months to get a dam belt tensioner for the viper, and its a dealer only item :12::anger:

falcongtho3
08-02-2010, 07:27 AM
i can help you out on that viper want :3amin:

Really want a '96 stone white RT/10, but after seeing a local guys '10 SRT10 in black I could almost live with another black car, seriously cool.

TEXASDSGMACH1
08-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I just buy what I like, I don't care who makes it. Which is why I personally have 2 fords and a chevy and I drive a chevy work truck so I'm 50/50. I will say its going to be hard to go back to the mustangs after owning a corvette.

Con's Mach1
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
because chevy people are typically

a) stuck up vette owner
b) redneck camaro/trans am/GTO/truck owner

we would like to be associated with neitherI TOTALLY agree with the statement about the stuck up vette owners. When we do All Brands are Welcome Car Shows, my wife Connie had started noticing how vette owners will pull up an extra two to three feet ahead of our Mustangs, or others at car shows. And then just HUDDLE with other vette owners. At the last show, which was a coincidence she says, "Here comes a vette pulling up next to your car honey"." Now watch him pull 3 feet ahead of your bumper". I said "Okay, whatever". As I was watching, he pulled his vette almost exactly 3 feet ahead of my bumper!! I started laughing, and he heard me, and said, "What's so funny". I told him what my wife observes about vettes at shows and he got angry, he even cussed at me. I was stunned. Then he hollered. "I'm not 3 feet ahead of your car"! About 10 mins later he starts his car and backs up even with my front bumper. I guess he noticed he was busted. I don't know what they gain from this? But, Connie was right. :23::23:

Ian'sMach1
08-02-2010, 11:00 AM

:agree:

73mach03
08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I've never had a brand loyalty. I just buy the car that appeals to me. I've enjoyed a few GM pony cars as well as two different era Mach 1s.

shane361
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Car enthusiast before Mustang enthusiast. With that said..I am incredibly proud to be a FORD owner!!! Great company with more heritage and pride than all others. I have a buttload of Mustang enthusiast to share my passion with who make some pretty great friends. No one else can say those things. :worship:

shadowmaker
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I TOTALLY agree with the statement about the stuck up vette owners. When we do All Brands are Welcome Car Shows, my wife Connie had started noticing how vette owners will pull up an extra two to three feet ahead of our Mustangs, or others at car shows. And then just HUDDLE with other vette owners. At the last show, which was a coincidence she says, "Here comes a vette pulling up next to your car honey"." Now watch him pull 3 feet ahead of your bumper". I said "Okay, whatever". As I was watching, he pulled his vette almost exactly 3 feet ahead of my bumper!! I started laughing, and he heard me, and said, "What's so funny". I told him what my wife observes about vettes at shows and he got angry, he even cussed at me. I was stunned. Then he hollered. "I'm not 3 feet ahead of your car"! About 10 mins later he starts his car and backs up even with my front bumper. I guess he noticed he was busted. I don't know what they gain from this? But, Connie was right. :23::23:

Cussing at me is a good way for a vette owner to get a few knots on his head. :anger:

I went to a show one time and the vette owner that won was totally cool. He said "i raised my kids, I paid for my house, I paid for the kids college. I bought the vette to drive and enjoy. See those rock chips? big deal, touch paint will fix em. " he was super cool and super talkative. He didnt have the nicest vette but he won the peoples choice.

MachGirl04
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Where can I get this shirt? Pretty much sums up my feelings. :)

Mudd92
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Ive never been a brand hater, I like all kinds of cars, Imports, domestics, european. If it looks good and is a nice car I like it.

bradmach
08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
i buy cars i like, just happens to be ive liked the mustangs most of my life, but im not a brand hater like most of you. most car guys around here arent haters, they like all car enthusiasts no matter the make as long as its not some jap crap.

you guys are worse than most of the camaro and vette owners ive met over the years.

MachGirl04
08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
i buy cars i like, just happens to be ive liked the mustangs most of my life, but im not a brand hater like most of you. most car guys around here arent haters, they like all car enthusiasts no matter the make as long as its not some jap crap.

you guys are worse than most of the camaro and vette owners ive met over the years.

Ehh, I like people. I know plenty of Ford people who are jerks, like Jerri:23: I don't know why I continue to hang out with him. I had an uncle :wings: total Vette guy, always had one or more from the days of 70s Vettes, coolest guy, also restored a sweet classic Stang once for his son. My friends don't have to drive Fords. I might try to sell them on Ford if they're looking to buy, but the choice is theirs. I don't judge PEOPLE by what cars they drive. I was raised on Ford, I think Ford gets better and better. I'll stick with 'em.

BADNBLUE
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM

:23: I love it! I want one!

24kmach
08-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Better.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/goldmach/P4160146.jpg

MachGirl04
08-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Better.

All good!:smokin:

SHAKERRR
08-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Better.

I hope that's not a purse on his shoulder!:OOPS::crazy:

SHAKERRR
08-02-2010, 07:55 PM

I want one!

24kmach
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
:secret::OOPS:I hope that's not a purse on his shoulder!:OOPS::crazy:

I was hoping it was his camera case.

Con's Mach1
08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Cussing at me is a good way for a vette owner to get a few knots on his head. :anger:

I went to a show one time and the vette owner that won was totally cool. He said "i raised my kids, I paid for my house, I paid for the kids college. I bought the vette to drive and enjoy. See those rock chips? big deal, touch paint will fix em. " he was super cool and super talkative. He didnt have the nicest vette but he won the peoples choice.But, it did help to hold my tongue when he looked like he had his tale between his legs, when he backed that thing up. It was priceless!

kiler be
08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm a car guy and like all kinds of cars. If it looks good and is done right.....nice car.
That said, I grew up with FORD'S and thats what I like the most and what I drive.