PDA

View Full Version : Think my motor just gave up the ghost....

GR8 WYT
07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, I've known that I was on borrowed time with my Vortech. Today my son and I were out crusing around Waldorf, MD and I noticed my volt guage going to the Meziere water pump was dead. We pulled over and sure enough, anti-freeze squirting out of the rad cap. We let it cool down...and I replaced one of the fuses in-line before the water pump relay.

Got her started and she ran cool on the 15 mile limp home.

Problem...the longer we drove, the COOLER the temp guage showed...very weird....but an ominus white cloud of smoke appeared behind the car and it really ran like crap....no power, white smoke...very bad.
Pulled the dip sitck when I got home and the end of it was SMOKING!

Now, an hour later it is still popping and pinging as the severly over-heated block cools down. It will not start at all.

Guess my luck ran out. I'll let it sit over night and try to start it in the morning....but the white cloud of smoke tells me a gasket may have cut loose.....the oil on the dip stick was not milky.

Now, If I can just scrape the money together for that Aluminator I want....

2k4mach
07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
sounds like you ran it with no water in it.

MCHNROL
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Too bad about that stock block. I'm sure you welcome the opportunity.....better, stronger, faster!

DarkMach1
07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
We're all on borrowed time, thats what makes life interesting. Now build it and make it faster.

Azure Blurr
08-01-2010, 07:51 AM
sounds like you ran it with no water in it.

Exactly!
I did this in a Taurus. They did a recall on the cooling bypass and did not put the clamp up on the nipple. I was on the interstate and it started running real rough. I looked in the mirror and seen snoke pouring from the rear. Got towed to the stealership and got a brand new motor. The car had less than 20,000 miles. :smack:

Side note: temp gauge never did go above 190ish.

blown03Mach1
08-01-2010, 09:35 AM
The temp sensor indicates the temperature of the coolant. No coolant = indications of cool motor as there is not coolant running over the sensor to heat it up.

BTW sorry to hear about the motor. If/when mine goes, I am not going to worry about it as it has been long over due to pop.

Mikestang
08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Kinda realted

Went to a car show last week notices there was antifreeze splattered around the filll cap looked in the res and it was pretty much bone dry.

I put in some anitfreeze and started the car for the first min I had no water temp then it went to regular levels. I was down about 1/2 of a gallon but I dont think I did any damage to the engine never got any smoke or lights.

It was my bad not checking that out When you only drive a car once in a while you assume its ready to go.