PDA

View Full Version : Ant problem

Mudd92
06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Folks I need some advice hah. I bought a car cover for my car about the 1st month I bought it since it has to stay outside 24/7. Well I have had to quit using it over the last few months. EVERY time I put it on, ants get all over it (the little ones?), on it, under the cover. And they were actully putting little holes in some spots. So I quit using it because I hated to my 300$ be destoryed... I really want to use it because where I live I cant have any kind of car port or anything, it has to be hard built on the property and theres all kinds of rules and stuff and I cant afford to do that.

And I really want to use it because im trying to prevent any sun fade on the car, the tree sap that falls on it, the bird crap that falls on it every night. Thank god I keep it waxed well and wash it once a week and its still in great shape no damage.

But what can I do to get rid of the ants? It doesnt matter if i park in the dirt, or the driveway (which I am stuck in the dirt) but there arent any ant beds around the car.

rich1
06-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Just wash the cover and then spray the area for ants.

24kmach
06-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I think you need a pet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Anteater

Mudd92
06-24-2010, 04:32 PM
LOL ^ yeah that would be nice :23:

Well, surely it will be fine to wash the car cover with car soap on the car right? I usually hose it off occasionally when I was using it.

NTMAREMACH
06-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Ants can be a real pain in the a$$. A few years ago when I got up in the morning I could see all these ant on the kitchen floor. Something didn't look right and when I took a closer look there were two different kinds of ants having a battle to the death. It was like roman gladiatiors fighting to the death. They were even in the cellar. There were no winners in the battle expect me. They had pretty much killed themselves. I was so impressed I just watch the show. Never happened again, so the moral to this story. Find a colony of different ants and let the battle begin. :23:

Mudd92
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
lol! well i washed the cover tonight and got it on the car, gonna see what happens. if it dont work ill do what everyone has recommend to just pour the killer around the tires.

someone on another board told me there most likely going for the glue the cover is made with or something

un gm
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
This will sound dumb but it works. Wash that cover with laundry soap and dry it. Buy some bounce dryer sheets and tape them to the underside of the cover. You may have to change them once a week for a few weeks until the ants are gone.

mach one NY
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
This will sound dumb but it works. Wash that cover with laundry soap and dry it. Buy some bounce dryer sheets and tape them to the underside of the cover. You may have to change them once a week for a few weeks until the ants are gone.

Bounce dryer sheets have oil in them that will leave residue marks on the paint.

311-420
06-25-2010, 10:01 AM
im not an exterminator, so i dont have the answer to getting rid of your pest problem. but, i bought a cover for my car a few weeks ago at wally world. 25 bucks. my car sits under a car port all day(i dont drive it to work) but my ****ing lawn guy (who actually just pulled up a few minutes ago haha) throws **** for miles with his weed eater and lawn mower and i couldnt have that stuff hitting the mach.

i dont know what brand of cover you have or the material, but the directions with mine said to never put it on the car if it or the car was wet. they both need to be dry. it also said to machine wash it in cold, and then an extra rinse to ensure all the soap was out. let air dry too. hope that helps.

Mudd92
06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Well, to late for that so hopefully itll be ok. But i did the 2 rinse cylces like I said, didnt mention anything about putting it on wet or not so hopefully it will be ok, its prob dryed out by now hah

ASH302
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
sorry bout your problems, wish i could help, haven't had that problem yet, also i got a garage luckly for mine, but i feel for your problem and wish that on no ones mach, good luck

wigsite
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
buy some Home Defense spray. I use it around the foundation of my house inside and out to keep bugs out. I would spray some of the edges of the car cover and on the ground around where you park. It will help keep them away.

Mudd92
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Well so far so good, come home for lunch and no ants on it. Will check again when I get off.