View Full Version : AZ Mach's

QTRPONY
12-27-2003, 10:36 PM
I finally broke the cherry on the Mach today:

13.622 @ 103.050 w/2.057
K&N
Nitto DR's
Everything else is "as delivered'.

I am thinking I can cut this by a few more .10th's next time out since this was my first time ever running with a manual. Took me a couple of runs to figure out how to work 3 pedals with 2 feet. Then it took a couple more runs (and a buddy to remind me) to remember to turn the traction control off. Planning on hitting 13.1 or 13.2 if I can figure out how to launch the thing.

jbrad88
01-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Great job.

I have a question. Tell me about Pheonix...I have a job opportunity that may bring me there and I figured I would ask some of our fellow Mach owners who live there about the area...

Any input would be appreciated...

thanks

QTRPONY
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Well for the obvious: It is hot as "hell" in the summer time. :!!:
We make up for it in the winter though, no snow and beautiful weather for the entire 2 weeks of winter (lol). Flagstaff is only a couple of hours up the road if you need snow.

Generally Phoenix is a "young" city. There are some older parts of town but most everything is probably 30 years old or less and still growing. Theres good and bad with that for example the highway system can't keep up with the growth so they are constantly building.

Anything you want to do we have, 4 pro teams, NASCAR, two strips (one on each side of town), zoo, etc. Camping, fishing, boating (yes we have lakes) etc. etc.

Cost of living is about normal-we did have a stupid gas crisis a few months ago because of a broken pipe.:SMASH:

I have lived in MO, MA, CA, SC and GA but I have been in AZ for about 15 years and really don't want to live anywhere else

jbrad88
01-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I am pretty spoiled here in the Houston area. Our cost of living is pretty low, we have no state income tax, the weather is pretty good, mostly hot as hades between may and sept but really mild between oct and april.

It would be nice to get away from the heavy flooding we get here at least once a year...

QTRPONY
01-10-2004, 11:26 AM
What is flooding? Is that anything like snow?

I keep hearing about these things but I never see them.:rolleyes:

We do get the occasional flooding here in some parts of town but nothing compared to what you guys go through down there.

I don't think it would be a huge difference than Houston. The cost of living is not too bad-or else large numbers of people would not be moving here. Plan on state taxes though.

jbrad88
01-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Any suggestions on where to look for good housing areas? Looking for price ranges in the 140-180k range. I was told to look into the east side of the city.

Looking into some builders web sites it appears the housing is about the same as here, maybe 10% higher in some areas, but it appears pretty much the same.

Everyone I have talked to has been very positive about Pheonix. Personally I am excited about the possibility of moving and doing something different in a new place. Just waiting for the interview.

I assume there are a lot of good cruise inlocations and you mentioned there were two drag strips, so I assume a pretty smooth transition as far as my car hobby goes...

rsnider
01-22-2004, 09:59 AM
One HUGE tip!!! LIVE WHERE YOU WORK!! It is over 60 miles from Northwest Phoenix (Glendale) to Southeast Phoenix (Chandler-Mesa) It would take hours during busey times of the day. Find a job THEN buy a house. Better yet, rent something for a short time until you get your feet under yourself.

I cant believe there is anyplace better than the Phoenix area for cruising. Literally dozens of places on Fri and Sat night. Check out "Cruise Arizona". It's a web site that lists all the meeting places.

For example... the Barrett/Jackson auction begins today. So on Saturday people I know that go to the "Pavilions" to show off their cars on Saturday nights will be leaving at 7 a.m.!!! They left at 9 a.m. last year and could not find a place to park. By the way... the Pavilions car bunch really does not peak until Saturday night!!! Does that give you some idea of how big classic/hot rod cars are in Phoenix.

I lived in Detroit for almost 30 years and it was nothing like Phoenix. They have their Woodward Dream Cruise, but it only happens once a year. We have two "all city" cruises on Central Ave.

Maybe some of you big time cruise fanatics could fill him in on the madness.

Sodbuster
02-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi John and Renae, I came to this thread kind of late but see that you might be moving to the Phx area. I'm a Building Inspector in a community near Phx. and might be able to help you with your housing questions. Contact me if you still need help.
Tim

Quickdraw
03-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Tuck,I only today discovered this regional forum, otherwise I would have accepted your challenge for Speedworld. Sounds like it didn't work out anyway. My wife and I met you at FB the weekend before FFW and your memory is OK, my name is Joe and I did run 13.8 stock. It was my first trip to the dragstrip for the Mach and it was a pleasant suprise to find you and your buddies Eric, Tim and Rich herding three more Mach 1's. Your 1990 GT was of course the fastest. I didn't get to run Eric, but I ran Tim twice. The first time, I missed third and he beat me(by a little). The next time, well, White is just faster. I now have a coat of Zaino on mine which should improve the aerodynamics and would like to try your Azure Blue Mach on. Let me know next time you are heading to FB.

QTRPONY
03-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Hey Joe,

Glad you found your way over here. The AZ Mach 1 Shootout died a slow painful death. There was not much interest so I did not follow through with it. Plus I got busy with work and umpiring Little League. Maybe we can try it again sometime in the near future.

I ended up running in the 12.7's with the GT at FFW but it was hit or miss. Sometimes the tires stuck and sometimes they didn't. Unluckily when I needed them to stick -they didn't. I have some new BFG Dr's but I have not had a chance to try them on the GT.

FYI For all:

There are some 05's running around the valley. I would not have believed it myself but I have seen the pics. I had a friend call me and tell me he saw one down in Mesa with Leopard spots on it and I thought he was crazy BUT he was not.

I uploaded some of the pics from the webpage of a local Mustang club I am in on Tim's Mach 1 web page:

http://groups.msn.com/Mach1Mustangs/05mustanginaz.msnw?Page=Last

Sodbuster
03-16-2004, 11:58 PM
I see it didn't take Joe any time at all to start talking smack.....:!!:
Yep, you beat me fair and square Joe. I guess next time I wont start off in second gear. :rolleyes: Just kidding Joe ! Nice to see you here and hope alls well with you and Judy.
Lets all get together sometime and tell some lies, Tim

grlshy
04-01-2004, 10:03 PM
I hate to admit it but I did the unthinkable, well at least for most people on this forum. I got rid of my Mach. It killed me to do so but there were just so many reasons to do it and only one to keep it. It was dammmmm fun. I traded it for a 2004 Tahoe. Let the flaming begin. I am a little disappointed with ford after the bs I felt the first 5000 customers were fed about the mach. We all paid nearly 30k for our cars and in less than a model year they are worth a little over half. I couldn't believe it. I was having more problems with the tranny and was getting real sick of dealing with that. I think car problems are one of my biggest pet peeves in life. I don't think I will be out of the sports car field for long though. I just know I have learned a few valuable things with this past experience.
1. never ever pay full msrp for a car, period.
2. never buy an automatic sports car
3. never buy a performance car if you plan on driving it over 40k miles per year

My plans ideally would be to do what tuck did and pick up an older mustang and make that a drag car. something fun and inexpensive and something that you aren't relying on to get you to and from work everyday. I'm going to miss the whole deal. you guys are awesome and I hope I will still be welcome to come and join you guys at different events and bs about the good old days when i had the fastest mach in PHX. he he....I couldn't resist one last dig.:CHEERS:

Sodbuster
04-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah I know....I just couldn't bring myself to call you with the fear of what I might say. Sold your Mach huh ? :!!: We have a name for people like you....( see attached pic ) I'll bet that becomming a new Dad might have something to do with it too !
You could of told us you know....then we could have stripped all of the goodies off it first. I particularly liked that sub woofer.
In your defense, I know how frustrating car problems can be. I dont guess the fact that your car never saw the down side of 4000 RPM except at idle had anything to do with it.
Well enough bashing....I gotta give it up to you ERIC :CHEERS:
If anyone ever lived by the saying : "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" it was you and I know you enjoyed it.....I still am :D :D :D

FRED CALTABIANO
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi all,
especially to Sod and Rick. I t's been a while since I have been on the boards. Tim you haven't modded your Mach yet ? Eric sorry to hear you had let yours go! To John and Renea you will love Living in the Phoenix area but heed Ricks advice about living close to work:D See ya.

Fred:HOPPY:

AZDave
04-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Fred (and everyone else). How's things with your white car? Next time you are in town, I'd like to see it and show you my new toy (3rd link below).
Eric, sorry to hear you traded. I've had mine for sale in Auto Trader for a few weeks. Not one call. Kind of disappointing that nobody wants a great car. Based on Eric's coment on depreciation and lack of buyer interest, I may keep it and sell the convertible. I'd sell thr Mach1 for a reasonable offer, but don't want to give it away for 1/2 price. Eric, how about a red one with a 5speed?

Sodbuster
04-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Wow Dave, what a stable of stangs :THUMBSUP:
That Shelby looks right at home with the others, so dont you start in on us with this talk of selling. Dont be surprised if Eric comes calling though...after he drove my 5 speed, I think he had the bug.:D
Nice to see you and Fred are still out here.....why dont we try to get everyone together before it gets too hot. There is a manageable gathering on Saturdays at 59th Ave and Bell Road in a K-Mart parking lot. Not too big , not too small.
Wadda you think ??

FRED CALTABIANO
04-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I am all for a get together:THUMBSUP: I am in town this weekend so Saturday at 59th anad Bell would be cool. Dave nice cars ! I guess I shuold come clean and let everybody know that I now have a 03 Cobra:HOPPY: I have already done some extensive mods to it. I made 470 rwhp with 498 ftlbs of tourque.:CHEERS:

Fred:HOPPY:

rsnider
04-06-2004, 12:55 PM
This weekend (April 10th) is the cruze on central! Is anyone interested in meeting early and securing sequential parking places at Park Central?

I hear that you have to be at Park Central by 9 a.m. to get a spot?

If that sounds a little extreme, how about making a few circuits together as a group?

AZDave
04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
:( I can't do any car guy stuff this weekend.:( Relatives here for Easter.

FRED CALTABIANO
04-06-2004, 06:06 PM
I think 9:00 am is a little early.

fred:HOPPY:

Sodbuster
04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I can do something this Saturday evening. Who's going where ??? :D :D

rsnider
04-20-2004, 11:53 AM
OK... Easter is over, the Central Ave. event is history, lets meet somewhere! I'd suggest the Pavillions but thats like trying to get 12 tickets together for the Superbowl on the day of the game.

I'm up for anywhere, but 67th Ave and Bell has lots of room and food near by if we decide to go and eat. There are aprox. 100-150 cars there each Saturday.

Any comments/suggestions?

Sodbuster
04-21-2004, 09:13 PM
I say 67th Ave and Bell this Saturday sounds like a good idea....count me in :CHEERS: